Friday, May 11, 2007

Could a Virtual Office be This Much Fun?













This is an actual, genuine, unPhotoshopped picture of me at my place of employment when I was in my early twenties. (For what it's worth, I'm seated in the chair, second from the left.) This, then, is what we will be missing in the brave new world of virtual offices.

If I believed in reincarnation -- and I'm not entirely sure I don't -- then in the 17th century I was likely French grammarian Dominique Bonhours. This venerable gentleman proved on his deathbed that a grammarian's work is never done when he turned to those gathered loyally around him and whispered: "I am about to -- or I am going to -- die; either expression is used."

Grammar Moses is quite aware that she has totally set herself up for eagle-eyed readers to find solecisms in her blog. (If you don't know what solecism means, you've got no business trying to correct Grammar's grammar.) But be aware that even though "I meant to do that" is the standard excuse of embarrassed six-year-olds, I likely really did intend the things you may be flagging as errors. It's called stylistic choice and it's what makes casual writing sound different from formal writing. That said, of course Grammar is human and possibly even fallible. So have at me; it will be fun!

3 comments:

Grammar Moses said...

Oops! Still on a learning curve here. While I did get the pic to appear, it's awkwardly placed. I also forgot to give the post a title, which was just going to be "Virtual Offices". One day I'll be a pro blogger!

katie lore said...

I could tell it was you immediately! Very very attractive. We need to sit down and have a basics tutorial so you can add your blog post title after you've published.

Grammar Moses said...

Oh, you can do it after? I did go to the blog's help thing to figure out how to download the pic. You'd think I'd have clued in by the little picture icon on the toolbar, but no. Anyway, I now know the preview does not accurately depict how the blog will look, as the preview had my text all under the pic.