Monday, November 10, 2008

Weather, Water, Wisitors

Today was a gift, an eye in the monsoon season storms. It was sunny and crisp, not cold, absolutely perfect walking weather. So I got out and had a trudge around the neighbourhood, waving at the many neighbours out raking leaves. And I don’t think we’re going to be able to keep up with the decorating in this neighbourhood: the guy across the street put his Christmas lights up today!

It’s interesting doing each season for the first time in our new house. Although the main privacy plantings at the back of our property are evergreens, even they have thinned a little with fall and we now have a bit of a view of Burrard Inlet, which is lovely and unexpected. There’s just nothing like being able to see water from your window. Mother nature’s water, that is. If I crane my neck I can also see a bit of the neighbour’s swimming pool, but that’s not at all the same. It also needs to be a large body of water, because puddles certainly don’t work, either. The water viewing requirements are actually quite specific, aren’t they?

We had The Lad here for dinner last night, which was great, except that it makes me miss him more when he’s gone. Most of the time I’m okay with him having flown the nest, but when he’s here, he brings his own unique life to the place and it feels right and proper that he’s here and sad and strange when he leaves.

If I were a real writer, I’d have a clever closing paragraph that combines the topics of weather, water views and visiting progeny. Alas, I don’t.

No comments: