Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Update

Just wanted to report in that Halloween at the new homestead was a great success. The rain that had fallen most of the day let up just in time and we welcomed 40 little monsters and princesses to our door, far more than I was expecting in our tucked-away location. Fortunately, I was prepared and although only the first 30 got full-size chocolate bars and gum packets, I had at the last minute purchased a back-up box of those silly mini-bars, which I disbursed by the (child’s) fistful. This was very surprising to one little dinosaur, who took his time and managed an impressive clutch of candy in his tiny paw, then looked up and asked politely, “Can I have ANOTHER handful, please?” I could see the wheels turning in his brain. The first fistful was just the warmup. Now his hand was well stretched, he was sure he could do better the second time around!

The glow-in-the-dark Frankenstein heads on the porch railing mesmerized a miniature zombie. She had to examine each and every one (and there were many) before she would leave. I admired the patience of her adult guardian, who allowed the child to sate herself on wonderment rather than hurry her on for more candy.

What also pleased me was that none of the beggars on our doorstep this night appeared to be over the age of 13. I do not approve of older teenagers trick or treating, although if they have at least made a good effort at a costume, I mind it less. I really dislike scruffy adolescents showing up in their regular clothes, not uttering a word, just holding out a bag with a challenging stare. I’ve always given them something, of course, fearing the consequences if I didn’t, but it annoys me no end. Not everyone agrees with my stand on this. Loyal fan Solomon has attempted to debate me on this point, his opinion being that pretty much anyone who chooses to plod from door to door on Halloween night should be rewarded with candy. I cannot debate it because I have no particular arguments to put forth for my side. I simply believe Halloween is for children, at least the trick or treating portion of it. I also believe in giving out full-size candy bars, so I’m not all Grinch!

And also -- this morning, every one of my pumpkins is still in place, unharmed. I’m impressed.

No comments: